- Bensonhurst Bean - http://www.bensonhurstbean.com -
School Bus Workers Striking On Wednesday
Posted By Laura Vladimirova On January 15, 2013 @ 8:00 am In News & Features | No Comments
Beginning Wednesday, January 16, there will be a strike by bus drivers who provide school bus transportation to the public and non-public school students. This means that there will be no transportation for most or all school-age students.
Early Intervention or pre-K bus services may not be affected, however, parents or guardians may face interruptions in services as well.
Our friends at Sheepshead Bites posted a list of transportation resources courtesy of the Department of Education:
- All students who currently receive yellow bus service may receive a MetroCard. MetroCards should be requested through the school’s general office. The DOE has informed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority that it may need to accommodate additional riders.
- Parents of pre-school and school-age children with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and require transportation from their home directly to their school, as well as parents of general education children in grades K-2, may also request a MetroCard to escort their children to school.
- Parents of children who receive busing from their home or are in K-6 and do not live in areas where public transportation between home and school is available, may request reimbursement for transportation costs. Parents who drive their children to school will be reimbursed at a rate of 55 cents per mile. Parents who use a taxi or car service to transport their child to school will be reimbursed for the trip upon completion of reimbursement forms that includes a receipt for provided services. Requests for reimbursements should be made weekly on forms that will be available on the DOE web site,www.schools.nyc.gov, and in schools’ general offices. Families who plan to drive or use a car service to carpool are encouraged to carpool with their neighbors whenever possible.
- In the unfortunate event that students cannot get to school, the Department will be posting materials online for every grade and core subject so that students can continue their learning at home during the strike.
For more information and updates, please check schools.nyc.gov or call 311.
Article printed from Bensonhurst Bean: http://www.bensonhurstbean.com
URL to article: http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2013/01/school-bus-workers-striking-on-wednesday/
Copyright © 2012 Bensonhurst Bean. All rights reserved.