Here’s our roundup of some of the crime reports that happened in and around Bensonhurst in the last two weeks, courtesy of the NYPD’s 62nd Precinct.
- A man walking down 18th Avenue near 70th Street on May 1, at 1:30pm, was attacked by a man coming towards him with what police describe as a pool stick. The assault was aided by two other perps who began assaulting the victim about the head as he fell to the ground. Cops say he violent men then beat the man on the ground and then took almost $2,500 from him as he lay defenseless, according to police.
- Also on May 1, police tell us, a man was savagely robbed while walking home on West 6th Street from the Mixteco Bar on Avenue U. The 11:53pm assault started when multiple assailants came behind man and began to punch him around the head and neck. The aggressors then took approximately $500 in cash from the man who was treated for lacerations at Methodist Hospital.
- Always remember to lock your car. Police report that on April 29th a woman went inside her home at Bay 31st Street without locking her car. She woke up to discover that thieves had stolen her credit cards, debit cards and medical equipment valued at a whopping $15,600. The car was not damaged, according to the report.
- Keep your hand on your hat. On May 1 at 8:50pm, a man was walking on Bay Parkway near 62nd Street when a stranger ran up to him, stole his hat off his head, and ran towards 21st Avenue, say cops.
- Never fall for the Nigerian prince story. A woman living on 16th Avenue was contacted over Facebook on April 25t by a man who, police tell us, called himself “Edward Leo”. This man said he needed financial help and requested money be sent to him. The woman was tricked and sent via Chase to Accra, Ghana, $5,100 US. The woman only realized she was being had when the man requested more money, according to the NYPD.