Subscribe for FREE with:

Archive for the tag 'sunset park'

nashaly

UPDATE (12:15pm): Nashaly Perez was found safe and sound at a friend’s house, and has been reunited with her family.

Original post:

Nashaly Perez, the 15-year-old Coney Island girl who went missing from her school on Monday, was a special needs student who was supposed to be under the constant supervision of a full-time paraprofessional.

Perez suffers from attention deficit disorder and behavioral problems, gets easily confused, and also takes anti-hallucinatory medication, according to reports. But despite being assigned a full-time paraprofessional, she managed to sneak out a back door of her school, P.S. 371 in Sunset Park, around lunchtime.

Now the family is saying the school failed to take the situation seriously until police were called.

DNAinfo reports:

[Perez's mother Sandra] Rodriguez found out her daughter was missing when she went to pick up her up early from school at about 1 p.m. on Monday because she had a doctor’s appointment.

The mother said Nashaly’s paraprofessional was standing outside when she arrived at the school and seemed unconcerned and told her “your daughter left school.”

Rodriguez then went to the principal, who she said “seemed surprised” that her daughter was missing.

They then called Nashaly’s homeroom teacher who said she also did not know where the teen was.

Rodriguez said the principal’s staff then “kept working, ignoring her” and told her “they were done with her” and she could go home.

It wasn’t until police arrived that the school even bothered to page Perez over the school’s loudspeakers.

The school’s principal, Joan Antonelli, has been reassigned, the Wall Street Journal adds.

The case is already inviting comparisons to that of 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo, an autistic boy who sparked a citywide search when he vanished from his Queens school last year. He, too, was to have full-time supervision while on school grounds and police were not informed for more than an hour after his disappearance. His body was later found in the East River.

Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña, who took the helm of the system this year, promised parents that the matter would be fully investigated.

“Under my watch — I’m going to repeat this again — safety is my first concern. Anyone who doesn’t follow procedures will be judged for that purpose,” Fariña told reporters Wednesday evening. She said there was “no excuse” for the lack of supervision.

Perez was wearing a white bandanna, red blouse, black jeans and red and black sneakers at the time of her disappearance. She is 5’3″ tall and weighs 120lbs.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and then entering TIP577.

nashaly

Cops are turning to the public for help in their search for Nashaly Perez, a 15-year-old girl who went missing Monday.

Perez, who lives near West 33rd Street and Mermaid Avenue, was last seen just after 1pm leaving her school, P.S. 371, in Sunset Park.

She was wearing a white bandanna, red blouse, black jeans and red and black sneakers at the time of her disappearance. She is 5’3″ tall and weighs 120lbs.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and then entering TIP577.

Borough President Adams was joined by Assemblywoman Helene Weinstein and other legislative colleagues in making the announcement.

Borough President Adams was joined by Assemblywoman Helene Weinstein and other legislative colleagues in making the announcement. (Source: Adams’ office)

Several local schools are receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars each for repairs, upgrades and improvements as part of a $3.1 million allocation by Borough President Eric Adams to education institutions across the borough.

The beep today unveiled 16 school-related capital projects that will benefit from the allocation, which was packed into the city’s Fiscal Year 2015 budget.

“If you look around Downtown Brooklyn, something new is rising up every day and this is an exciting time for the borough and this area, as education and schools represent the vibrant energies of what’s coming up at this time,” said Borough President Adams. “This budget spans the far reaches of the borough; from Metrotech to Midwood and from Bed-Stuy to Bath Beach, we are leaving no school behind. Our goal is education, education, and education.”

The allocations are largely for technology upgrades, although some schools are receiving it for more general improvements.

Schools in our area are slated to receive the following:

  • $350,000 to James Madison High School for upgrades to the school’s library and media centers;
  • $225,000 for improvements to the library at Sheepshead Bay High School;
  • $200,000 for classroom technology purchases at Joseph B. Cavallaro I.S. 281;
  • $100,000 for classroom technology purchases at P.S. 169;

Local elected officials joined Adams during the announcement this morning to celebrate the funding.

“School libraries and media centers are essential to the success of today’s high school students,” said Assemblymember Helene Weinstein. “I thank Brooklyn Borough President Adams for this funding, which will enhance these services at Sheepshead and James Madison High Schools, and allow students to reach even greater heights.”

“Investing in education is the best investment we can make for the future of our state and country,” said Assemblymember William Colton. “These capital improvements will help bring much-needed technological advancements to our local Brooklyn schools that will better our children. This $200,000 capital grant for I.S. 281 will allow for the school to make technology improvements, including by purchasing smartboards and computer laptops, that will benefit our students by enhancing their learning experience, and provide valuable resources for our educators.”

Cops are looking for this man, believed to be the fourth person connected to an armed robbery on 60th Street. (Source: NYPD)

Cops are looking for this man, believed to be the fourth person connected to an armed robbery on 60th Street. (Source: NYPD)

A fourth suspect is now being sought in connection to the armed robbery of a 60th Street cell phone store two weeks ago.

Cops put out photos and video of the first three suspects just two days after the July 30 robbery of JJ Wireless, a cell phone store at 810 60th Street. Video captured three suspects entering the store. One assaults the store’s clerk, pinning him to the ground. While another suspect helps subdue the clerk, the third suspect steps over the victim to grab a safe behind the counter. 

While struggling with the safe, what appears to be a black handgun tucked into the suspect’s waistband is revealed.

The crew made off with approximately $30,000. The clerk was not seriously injured.

After two weeks of reviewing security footage from surrounding areas, a fourth suspect has been identified. The latest suspect, pictured above, is described as a black male in his 20s, and approximately 5’7″ to 6’0″ tall.

Police have also identified two vehicles connected to the robbery, which they say the suspects fled in: two Ford Ecoline vans, one black, one white, pictured below.

vans

The three original suspects are still being sought. Below are photos of each, followed by descriptions from the police department:

suspect3

A male black in his 20s, 6’00″-6’04″ in height, with a slim build and a cornrows hair style wearing a gray sweatshirt.

suspect2

A male black in his 20s, 5’07″-5’10″ in height, with a slim build wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

suspect1

A male black in his 20s, 5’07″-6’00″ in height, with a medium build wearing a red sweatshirt. The suspect had a black firearm in his waistband.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and then entering TIP577.

Forgetta's Facebook photo shows him donning his phony badge (Source: NYPD)

Forgetta’s Facebook photo shows him donning his phony badge (Source: NYPD)

Cops tracked down and cuffed Jason Forgetta, 37, at 17th Avenue and 62nd Street on Friday, less than 48-hours after the convicted sex offender was accused of posing as a police officer and violently raping a 26-year-old woman in Sunset Park.

Forgetta, who also goes by the name Jason Torres, is charged with rape, robbery and criminal impersonation of a police officer. Cops also fear he may have preyed on other women, and are asking any further victims who recognize Forgetta from photos to call detectives at (212) 741-8401.

Cops say Forgetta encountered his latest victim on Wednesday, July 30 just after 2:00 a.m. The two struck up conversation in front of the Sunset Park hotel where the woman was staying, and Forgetta pulled a gold shield and told the woman he was a lawman.

The victim invited Forgetta up to her room. Once there, Forgetta’s charm soured. The woman said he beat, raped and sodomized her before swiping her cell phone, cash and pocket book and fleeing the scene.

According to the Daily News and information distributed by the police, as badly beaten as the victim was, she pursued Forgetta to the parking lot, where the quick-thinking victim scribbled down the license plate of the car he drove off in.

She was taken to an area hospital, where police interviewed her and obtained a detailed description of the attacker and the vehicle information.

It didn’t take long for cops to identify their alleged perp; Forgetta was already known to cops as a Level 3 sex offender with a rap sheet that spans more than two decades.

forgetta1

Forgetta’s mugshot (Source: NYPD)

Using information from his past arrests and computer checks on the vehicle, detectives worked through a list of phony addresses until they located his car. On Friday, cops made their bust at 9:30 a.m. at the Bensonhurst intersection. His fake badge, with which he also posed for photos posted on Facebook, was found inside the car.

The Daily News has more on his criminal history:

Police said Forgetta has a criminal record dating to 1992 and has been arrested on charges of robbery, car theft and driving with a suspended license. In 2002, he was convicted of first-degree sexual assault for punching and raping a woman and got a year and three months in prison.

He was also deemed a Level 3 sex offender — the worst of the worst — and ordered to undergo aggression and anti-violence counseling.

… Roughly a year after his release, he was charged with sexual abuse again, this time in the molestation of a 15-year-old Williamsburg girl. The outcome of that case was unclear.

He allegedly lured the girl into a dark alley by pretending to have a knife then told her that he “didn’t want to hear about the attack on TV or in the newspapers,” according to sources.

He was also a suspect in the molestation of a 7-year-old girl, officials said.

Forgetta was required to report to a sex offender monitor every 90 days to confirm his address, listed as a building on Lewis Street in Ditmas Park. Neighbors – including a person who lives in the apartment unit where he claims to live and the superintendent of the building, said he doesn’t live there and they weren’t aware he was a registered sex offender.

It’s not yet clear how Forgetta managed to dupe monitors. He had previously been arrested in 2010 for failing to report to the sex offender monitor.

If you recognize Forgetta and have information about others he may have harmed, please call detectives at (212) 741-8401.

Three men walked into the 810 60th Street of JJ Wireless, a cell phone shop in Borough Park, assaulted the clerk and made off with a safe containing $30,000 at approximately 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, according to police.

The incident was caught on surveillance camera. It shows the first suspect enter the shop, walk straight to the clerk and wrestle him to the ground. As he kept the 26-year-old employee busy, the second and third suspects entered the store.

One stepped over the employee, grabbed the safe, and pulled it to the front of the store. He appeared to have a black handgun tucked into his waistband, although the firearm was not pulled during the crime.

The third suspect helped the first subdue the employee.

The suspects are shown below, followed by descriptions distributed by the police:

suspect3

A male black in his 20s, 6’00″-6’04″ in height, with a slim build and a cornrows hair style wearing a gray sweatshirt.

suspect2

A male black in his 20s, 5’07″-5’10″ in height, with a slim build wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

suspect1

A male black in his 20s, 5’07″-6’00″ in height, with a medium build wearing a red sweatshirt. The suspect had a black firearm in his waistband.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and then entering TIP577.

missing

The NYPD is turning to the public in their search for Damei Liang, a 72-year-old woman who went missing from 54th Street and 8th Avenue in Sunset Park yesterday morning.

Liang suffers from dementia, diabetes and high blood pressure. She’s 5-foot-5-inches tall and 130 pounds, with short black hair. She was last seen wearing a white and green shirt, brown pants, a blue backpack and black Nike sneakers.

A resident of Bay Ridge, at 83rd Street and 5th Avenue, Liang went missing at approximately 9:15 a.m. on Tuesday.

If you see Liang or have information regarding her whereabouts, please call 911 immediately.

Rendering of the proposed Eighth Avenue Center by Raymond Chan. Source: World Journal via Voices of NY

Rendering of the proposed Eighth Avenue Center by Raymond Chan. Source: World Journal via Voices of NY

A group of Chinese developers are looking to erect a mall, office building, hotel and residential complex on the border of Sunset Park and Dyker Heights, where they recently plunked down $51.5 million for the land.

The project, tentatively named Eighth Avenue Center, is slated for 6208 8th Avenue. The 160,700-square-foot site is currently a parking lot abutting the N line. When construction wraps up, the owners expect to see five buildings packing in a total of 1.1 million square feet of space.

World Journal, translated by Voices of New York, reports:

Raymond Chan, a co-developer whose architecture firm will design the project, said that because of zoning restrictions, this piece of land is the only lot in the Eighth Avenue neighborhood in Brooklyn that can be used for large-scale development. The project will not only alter the skyline of the neighborhood but also bring great changes in the dynamic of the Chinese community in Brooklyn.

“Today’s Eighth Avenue is like Flushing 15 years ago,” said Chan. He said that as a rapidly establishing Chinese neighborhood, the Eighth Avenue area has huge potential for development. So he and several other Chinese developers pooled together $50 million to purchase the land from Jewish developer Andy Cohen. They plan to build one mixed-use building of three floors of underground parking space, three floors of shopping area, and an activity center for community organizations, one 17-floor office building, one seven-floor and 150-room hotel, and two 15-floor residential condos.

Chan said for the only lot that is zoned C4-3 for large-scale development in the neighborhood, the price of $50 million was reasonable. He said the deal closed May 21. The plan is subject to change pending community board approval.

The lot appears to straddle the jurisdictions of Community Board 7 and Community Board 10, so they may need joint approval.

The owners told the publication that they hope to begin construction in the spring.

An aerial view of 6208 8th Avenue. (Source: Google Maps)

An aerial view of 6208 8th Avenue. (Source: Google Maps)

home-invasion

Police are on the hunt for two men believed to be behind a violent home invasion that occurred late last month in SunsetPark.

On February 27, just before 2:00 a.m., the suspects followed a 28-year-old man into his apartment building on 39th Street and 10th Avenue.

The suspects bound the victim’s hands with a cell phone charger cord and stole $150 and an iPhone 5.

They then fled the location.

Police have released a photo of the suspects, seen above.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website, or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Mycobacterium marinum infection of the arm of a fish-tank worker.

An example of the infection in its earlier stages. These spots can grow into lesions and spread into the muscle tissue, making surgery necessary. (Source: CDC)

At least 30 people have been diagnosed with a bacterial skin infection after handling raw fish at Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens Chinese markets, spurring the New York City Department of Health to warn residents to take precautions.

The department is urging anyone who handles live or raw fish to wear waterproof gloves and to avoid direct contact with the seafood. There is no risk from consuming the food once it has been cooked, the agency notes.

The bacteria that causes the infection, Mycobacterium marinum, leads to symptoms including tender swelling and red bumps, as well as pain and difficulty moving fingers. It enters the body through cuts or injuries while handling live or raw seafood. Although easy to combat early on, if left untreated it could significantly worsen and require surgical treatment.

So far, cases have been linked to all three boroughs. The case found in Brooklyn was traced back to a Sunset Park market.

If you believe you have symptoms of the infection, you can call the Health Department’s Bureau of Communicable Disease at (347) 396-2600 and ask to speak to a physician.

Next »