Borough Park Woman Found Dead, Possibly Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Police are considering carbon monoxide poisoning as a factor in the death a woman, found in her Borough Park apartment early Saturday morning.

Cops responded to a 911 call at 5511 Fort Hamilton Parkway on  June 20, at 3:34am, and found 55-year-old Nilda Sing unconscious and unresponsive, according to authorities. EMS responded and pronounced her dead.

The Daily News reports that Sing was discovered on her bedroom floor by her brother, 40-year-old Jimmy Marquez, who was returning the first-floor apartment after coming off a nightshift.

“I tried reviving her,” a devastated Marquez told the outlet. “I knew she was passing away. I tried to save her.”

Firefighters evacuated the four-story building Saturday morning due to a gas leak, which National Grid has confirmed originated from the building’s boiler.

Neighbors say the boiler has been under repair for several weeks, but Marquez claims the repairman hired — from Positive Heating and Plumbing — did a shoddy job, reports the Daily News:

The building superintendent told investigators that the building’s boiler — which was right below the apartment Singh shared with her brother and sister-in-law — hadn’t been working. A repair crew had spent the last two weeks fixing it, the superintendent said.

But someone mucked up the job — securing the exhaust pipe with tape. The exhaust pipe burst on Friday, Marquez claimed.

When Marquez told the building’s landlord, identified as Jacob German, about his sister’s death, he told outlets the landlord said, “It’s not your fault and it’s not my fault.”

Marquez and his wife Maoly, who also lives in the apartment, were both taken to the hospital Saturday where they were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, reports ABC 7.

Tenants told CBS that this is not the first time the building has dealt with a gas leak.

“I’m looking for another apartment,” Ayda Yousef, a tenant with two children, told the outlet. “I want to move. I’m scared for myself and my kids.”

An investigation is ongoing and the Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death.

About Author

  • Evan1407

    It’s the landlord’s responsibility that all mechanicals are working and not leaking carbon dioxide.