Last week’s heat wave sparked an electrical fire on 13th Avenue and 75th Street in Dyker Heights Friday morning, Con Edison has confirmed.
Too many customers having their air conditioners on blast at the same time caused a light pole to rain down sparks on the street corner in front of Bagelicious (7501 13th Avenue), according to a spokesperson for the electrical company.
The Fire Department was called at 4:57am to 13th Avenue and 74th Street to a report of wires on fire on a light pole, according to fire officials. The first unit on scene in five minutes and the incident was brought under control at 6:29am.
Neighbors reported loud crackling and blinking street lights early Friday morning. In a video posted by Fernando Patrinicola, firefighters can be seen extinguishing the blaze.
There were no injuries, according to the FDNY.
Updated at 1:18pm with information from the FDNY.