This week in collaboration with Brooklyn Mama’s Kitchen and Greenmarkets we bring you a super simple, yet rather delicious salad recipe. So pick up some kale on your next shopping trip and enjoy!
TUSCAN KALE CAESAR SALAD (Serves 4)
*1 head Tuscan Kale
*1.5 cups of cubed day old bread
juice of 1 lemon
*2 garlic cloves
2 anchovy fillets
*splash of hot sauce (optional)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
*2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan, pecorino or other similar aged cheese
* Ingredients available seasonally at Brooklyn Greenmarkets, listed below.
- Preheat oven to 250. Drizzle cubed day old bread with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for about half an hour or until golden brown. Let cool and rub croutons with a clove of garlic.
- Make vinaigrette: with a mortar and pestle, mash up other clove of garlic with salt until it makes a paste. Add the lemon juice, whisk in olive oil and add fresh cracked pepper. Splash of hot sauce is optional.
- Removed woody stems from kale. Slice up leaves into bite sized pieces and mix in dressing. Let it stand for at least 15 minutes. The lemon juice will break down the kale so it is easier to chew and digest.
- Mix in croutons and sprinkle with grated cheese.
Fort Greene Park on Saturdays
Grand Army Plaza on Saturdays
Bartell Pritchard Square on Wednesdays
PS 154 on Sundays
Parkside on Sundays
Cortelyou Road between Argyle & Rugby on Sundays – open year round.
Borough Park on Thursdays – 14th Avenue between 49th and 50th St.
Sunset Park on Sundays – 4th Ave btwn 59th & 60th St, Brooklyn. Open Saturdays, July 9 – November 19
Bensonhurst on Sundays – 18th Ave between 81st and 82nd St
Follow Brooklyn Mama’s Kitchen on: